If you’ve considered feeding your dog or cat grapes or raisins, don’t! Grapes and raisins are actually toxic to our furry friends. These delicious fruits can poison and even kill in the most severe cases. In this article, your local veterinarian discusses grape and raisin poisoning in pets.
Why are grapes and raisins poisonous?
No one knows for sure why grapes and raisins are toxic to pets. Some experts think that mycotoxin, a fungal byproduct, is responsible. Others believe that pesticides sprayed on the fruit may play a role. To make matters even more confusing, some pets are able to eat grapes and raisins without suffering any negative effects. But whatever the cause, it’s just too risky to feed these fruits to your pet.
What are the symptoms of poisoning?
Signs of grape or raisin poisoning usually show within a few hours of ingestion by your pet. Clinical symptoms include increased thirst, lethargy, vomiting, and diarrhea. Kidney failure, also called renal failure, can occur. That’s why it’s critical that you keep your vet’s phone number on hand in the event of an emergency. Take your pet to the veterinarian’s office immediately if you know or suspect that he ate grapes or raisins.
What’s the treatment?
Getting rid of the toxin in your pet’s body as quickly as possible is the goal of treatment. This can be done by inducing vomiting, and using activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxin in your pet’s stomach. Those that have progressed to kidney failure may require blood transfusions or intravenous fluid therapy in the most serious cases.
How do I prevent grape and raisin poisoning?
Clearly, prevention of grape or raisin poisoning is better than dealing with it once it’s happened. Fortunately, all you have to do is restrict your pet’s access to these foods at all times. Keep grapes and raisins in the refrigerator, or closed cabinets or containers, so that pets can’t reach them. Also, be aware of foods that contain grapes or raisins, like salads or desserts.
Do you want to know more about pets and nutrition? Call your local veterinarian in North Miami Beach, FL for more information!