Job Title: Veterinary Technician
Expanding Veterinary Practice looking for a Certified Veterinary Technician
A Veterinary Technician is essential in the day to day operations of a veterinary practice. Veterinary Technicians assist the Veterinarian in the course of providing medical care and treatment to patients. Veterinary Technicians are essentially the equivalent of a nurse in human medicine. Technicians are responsible for patient intake, accessing and recording patient vitals. Performing laboratory work, nursing care, surgical assisting and client education. The position requires a high level of professionalism, ethics and knowledge of Veterinary Medicine. Veterinary Technicians must be comfortable working and educating the public in regards to the care needed to maintain a happy and healthy pet.
As a Veterinary Technician you will:
- Ascertain the patients current and previous medical history
- Perform and record patient vitals
- Gather various laboratory samples from the patient and perform the necessary tests
- Perform x-rays
- Prep patients for surgery and provide nursing care to hospitalized and post –op patients
- Administer vaccinations and perform various medical treatments including intravenous and oral medications
- Perform Dental Prophylaxis
- Accurately record the patients’ medical treatment and identify normal and abnormal appearances
- Various other duties may be assigned under the direction of the attending Veterinarian
This position requires an exceptional level of focus and thoroughness as well as the ability to accurately follow orders as given. You must be a self-starter able to anticipate the needs of the attending veterinarian as it pertains to the treatment of the patient. Maintain a high level of production in a fast paced environment. This position requires a huge amount of public contact therefore you must be comfortable discussing medical treatment and interacting with clients. A genuine love of animals is paramount. You will be responsible for ensuring that clients understand medication instructions and are aware of follow up treatment dates. Maintain an optimum level of patient care and comfort will be an essential part of your daily performance. You must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English, being bilingual is a plus. Previous experience in the field of Veterinary Medicine is necessary. Knowledge of Cornerstone software program, Idexx laboratory equipment and digital radiography are preferred but not a necessity. Various weekend shifts will be required.
Customer Service Skills:
- Must be knowledgeable and comfortable in regards to discussing various medical treatments, recommendations and veterinary related products with clients
- Enjoy educating clients in regards to keeping their pet healthy
- Ability to recommend various services and products that would benefit the client and patient as outlined under practice protocol
- Maintain patient goals outlined by practice protocol associated with the Veterinary Technician position.
Competitive salary; based on experience; commission and bonus available.
Benefits include paid vacations and holidays.
Are you THE technician for the team? Apply with your resume to the form below.